Search This Blog

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Steuben Parade 2014!

This Saturday, September 20 is the 57th annual German-American Steuben Parade in New York City!  The parade starts at noon (get there early) and goes up 5th Ave from 68th St to 86th St.  Unfortunately, the Oktoberfest sold out almost instantly as always, but the parade itself is so much fun.

Some of you are aware that I tried out for Miss German-America (twice) and was the Princess in 2012.  That was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, even with the stress of attending so many events and always having my Princess-face on.  Now that I know so much more about the inner workings of the parade, I appreciate it more.  I also know a lot of wonderful people because I was in the court that year.  Even before 2012, I cannot remember a year I didn't attend the parade.  I was always on the German School of CT float as a kid and watched the parade a few times as well.  I didn't realize how different all the cultures and costumes within one country could be until I actually saw the whole parade.  It's really an amazing event.  I could write a lot more, but it might be better to share some of my favorite pictures from the last few years.


My first year watching from the side

You don't need to be in the parade to have fun

German School of CT

My club in the traditional Frisian dress

Restaurants and bars always have fun floats

Always adorable kids in lederhosen and dirndls

Bavarian Club Edelweiss Westchester

Foehrer Musik Freunden!

Celebrating German-Americans

Still trying to perfect our waves

Bet there will be even more German soccer fans after the World Cup this year!
Still my desktop background picture

Lots of bands

Lots of bikes

Keep an eye out for these guys!

Wienermobile!

Beard Teanm USA

So many German Autos

Bierhaus NYC

Always a Trabi

Back on the court in 2012

There was an actual wedding during last year's parade

Parade wear: Berlin Ampelmann shirt and a Dirndl

A break for a quick soccer game in the middle of the parade

Big fluffy dogs!
And a bonus picture of Miss German-America and her court from the first Steuben Parade in 1957:

(Source: germany.travel and German Consulate General NY's Facebook)


There are so many more, but it's a lot to take in at once.  If that's not enough, here's the link to my Facebook albums from the 2009 Parade and the 2010 Parade.  I'll have even more to share after Saturday!

If the parade interests you, please go, buy a cornflower if you find one of the girls selling them, and try some of the other events this year and next year.  I guarantee a fun time!

Check out the Steuben Parade Website for more info!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this kid's school uniform related blog.We are leading kid uniform provider in germany and other european nations (EU) visit here for more information.
    pashionclothing.com

    ReplyDelete