Search This Blog

Thursday, August 2, 2012

A "Blanket" Apology

So, first thing - I need to extend an apology to anyone who has been reading this blog at all over the past half year.  I've basically dropped off the face of the earth this summer.  I hate making excuses, but I've been busy with my Princess duties (the blog about which has also been neglected), 2 jobs (I got a new job, yay!), and many things with friends and family and of course the 2 guys in my life (Spartacus and my boyfriend).  I do have some crafts with pictures to share.
I also apologize for the text and its size in this post.  I've tried editing it through html and the "compose" tab, but nothing will fix it.  If anyone knows how to fix it, I'd love some help!

I'm pretty sure I owe a bunch of craft things and about a week straight of "Musik Monday".  So, here's my promise:  Next week, there will be a new post each day, starting Monday for pseudo-Musik Mondays.  Also, by the time I start up with school again (Aug 20...way too soon), I'll post at least 1 crochet, 1 nail art, and 1 random craft - starting with this post.  It's clever title should give a hint.

Recently, a really good family friend (he's basically like a 2nd brother) and his wife had a baby.  I was fortunate enough to be invited to her baptism and the celebration after.  I knew I had to give my own gift even though my entire family was attending, so I figured that the best thing I could do was crochet.

I scoured the interwebs looking for an adorable, yet unique pattern for a baby blanket - something that a kid can use for a long time.  I came across a pattern for an alphabet baby blanket.  (Warning, the link will download the PDF of the pattern - it can also be found here under "Alpha Magic Afghan")  I took my sweet time from about mid-June, then when it was a week before the Baptism I knew I had to work fast.  I crocheted hours every night after work while going through the whole Once Upon a Time series (shameless plug for an awesome TV show).  I finally finished just in time! 


I'm so glad you can see the letters


*More after the jump*



I used an entire 947yd ball of Loops & Threads™ Snuggly Wuggly™ Yarn in Petal Dots (color # 04413) and then a little extra because I decided to do a border in the same color.  I tend to pull tight too, so a normal person would probably use up the whole ball without the border - I had enough from the first ball to do about 3/4 of the border before needing more.


With the border...I kind of like it better without the border


It's such an easy pattern really, it just takes a lot of time.  If you know chain, single crochet, and double crochet, you'll be able to do it.  The "popcorn" stitches are just a bunch of double crochet together.  This was my first complete blanket of any sort too!!  And I bet if you've got graph paper or a program, you could use it to have a name or phrase of some sort.  I did edit some of the letters some - like the inside of the P and R.  It's really up to you how to use it and make it work for your needs.




One last look.  I'm so proud of it.


The baptism itself was wonderful.  It was a Ukrainian Catholic service and Ukrainian celebration, all of which was pretty new to me.  I've never known a baptism to have so much food in a rented hall with music, dancing, booze, and disco lights.  It was so much fun though.  I felt like I fell into an extremely classy version of My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding (all the fun parts, none of the not-so-great parts).  I hope the baby loves her new blanket as much as I loved making it for her!


Group shot at the baptism.  That little girl has a lot of people in her life already who love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment