Search This Blog

Thursday, April 26, 2012

National Pretzel Day!

April 26 is National Pretzel Day!  So, in honor of that, I decided the German thing to do would be to bake some Pretzels!  I used this recipe.  I had used another recipe from that website for my bienenstich cupcakes.
It was not the easiest recipe and my pretzels aren't exactly the prettiest things.  I'm proud of them though and I got them done just in time to celebrate the day!


Chef Spartacus was making sure I was doing it right


The first steps were easy enough - the bowl was too small though.  You'll see in the 3rd picture that I had to switch to a bigger 
Yeast water + brown sugar.  I need to figure out a better way to store my brown sugar so it doesn't solidify and make recipes take 20 minutes longer trying to break off pieces.
I finally got control of the dough.  I don't think 5 cups of flour are necessary.  I could have done with 4 or less.
Roll out.  That reminds me so much of baking at German Camp...
Loop over
Another loop over
And a twist
I suggest shaping a bunch before boiling and salting any - makes life a lot easier
Boiling baking soda water
Into the water you go
Salted and ready to bake
I get a pretzel too, right?  (He got some Greenies cat treats instead and was happier with those)
After the first batch got a little too brown, I only left this bath in for about 6-7 minutes

Plate Full of Pretzels!

I ended up with 27 total pretzels.  They're certainly not giant sized, but they're a good little snack.  I didn't bother trying to make any dip.  I'll probably use some butter like I ate them in South Germany.  Butterbrezel (buttered pretzel) are so amazing!

There's you German word of the day!  Brezel = Pretzel.
Happy National Brezel Day everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment